Saturday 26 March 2016

Traumatic 2 Michelin star dining experience @ Nakahigashi... So bad we spit it out

A few weeks ago I went to Kyoto again, this time with my family, and we tried a few fine dining restaurants. I went to Soujiki Nakahigashi which is rated as no.7 kaiseki restaurant in Kyoto and top 50 in Japan. In addition to that, it has 2 Michelin stars. So my expectation for it was pretty high.

Unfortunately, we did not have a good meal there. All the pictures of the food look good but man, the taste doesn't suit our tastebuds. Even worse, some of the food were spitted out. Not by me, as I respect the restaurant, but I guess spitting the food out will let the restaurant know that their food is not up to standard.
I forgot to say that I don't eat meat so they serve me wild boar meat for the hassun. Everything was edible except for that white thing in the middle. Its like mochi and had kind of a strong bitter and wasabi kind of taste. Really weird. I wanted to spit it out but just downed it with ocha as I didn't want to be impolite. 

Don't judge a book by its cover as its pretty but foulthy?!

By this time I was already disappointed so I didn't take note of the names of all these dishes. 
This second dish is another vegetable with strong wasabi taste. Inedible.

 White miso soup with some kind of mochi. Normal.
 The best course of tonight's meal. Fish meat, bones, head. Everything is edible. But it will taste better perhaps with teriyaki sauce? Unfortunately the restaurant didn't have it. (I actually asked LOL)
 Snapper sashimi with LOTS of vegetables. Not that I hate vegetables but this is way too much. And the sashimi tasted normal. Veggies were inedible.


 Second fish dish which is quite good. I must say only edible dishes are the fish dishes.
 Fermented saba. Wow, I thought, finally saba, my favourite fish. But with one bite, I wanted to spit it out. As its fermented, it had a really strong... foulthy taste?! What the he** I can't even explain it. OK this is disgusting.
 Soup.
 Normal bamboo soup.

 My family's main was deer meat. Although I didn't have it they said it was not nice... Tastes like bad innards of animals... OK so it is inedible.
 My simple main. Too many small bones that I almost choked :/
 Another vegetable?! Crazy.
 Last but not least the rice.
 .....
 Dessert was simple strawberries with amazake (sweet sake without alcohol). This is not special at all as amazake 甘酒 is a 200yen drink which can be bought during new year or at special places like Asakusa... So... I'm paying so much just for this kind of dessert? Unbelievable.

And I swear the 350 yen a pack strawberries are sweeter than their strawberries...

Coffee and cheese and some kind of sweet balls in the end. Edible. But kinda weird to be serving this at a traditional Japanese restaurant.

This fine dining experience had left me feeling traumatic to eat Japanese fine dining again, at least for several months :/ And it had such good reviews too...

2 comments: