Friday 11 March 2016

18 Courses at Oryori Hayashi 御料理はやし, Kyoto

Instead of going to Michelin restaurants this time, I used a Japanese rating to find the top restaurants in Japan. Would like to know which rating is better, French or Japanese. Of course, you know who will win... as I am in Japan...!

This restaurant that I went to is called Oryori Hayashi 御料理はやし, which is rated as top 20 in Kyoto and top 100 in Japan. 

As I have mentioned on the title, they served us 18 courses. Judging from the number alone, there's no way a Michelin star restaurant will make such an effort to serve so many courses.


 Daikon with miso. I love daikon so this dish is perfect as the first course!
 Hassun

 Hamaguri clam with sakura petals. It's the season for sakura!

 Fish roe からすみ
 This uni is hands down the best uni I have had in my whole life. Fresh and sweet.
 Hirame. I really like how they slice it into such thin pieces and this fish is kind of chewy.
 Sashimi including koshibi and sayori. (seasonal fish)
 Lilybulb manjyuu with minced duck meat inside.
ユリ根饅頭
 Anago! It's eel which lives in salt water.



 Amadai
 白魚 Ice fish tempura

 Shirako tofu coated with uni. Usually I hate shirako but I couldn't taste the shirako at all for this dish so I love it! Tastes like tofu/fish cake but very soft with crunchy layer. Yum
 This soup has 日本酒, sake, and it was not weak!!


 Porridge at the end.
 Kinkan 金柑 and yuzu sherbet! I love it.

 Tea ceremony
 Sweet potato japanese snack 和菓子.
So, this restaurant really makes an effort to serve its customers with 18 small but unique dishes. Simple and traditional yet pleasing. Different experience as compared to a Michelin restaurant was I was glad I went there instead of the latter.

3 comments:

  1. The best uni will be the next time you have uni again. How was the matcha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this uni was really special...! Just like Kobe beef as compared to normal beef

      Delete
  2. It probably came from Australia :P

    ReplyDelete