Sunday 28 February 2016

Ankyu: The Restaurant that Rejected 3 Michelin Stars

Hi Guys! Today I will review Ankyu, a restaurant in Kyoto that as you read on the header, rejected 3 Michelin stars. Actually I found this restaurant by chance.... As now it is not even listed on the Michelin list...! And it's only a 7-seater so it's pretty small.

During our gastronomic trip we went to kaiseki (懐石), or Japanese fine dining, restaurants everyday, and this was our most favourite restaurant although it doesn't have 3 Michelin stars. So, I conclude that Michelin stars doesn't mean everything.
 Eggplant with some kind of sauce. I didn't take note of the name but I still remember the taste. Cold eggplant with some kind of peanut sauce... Very light and a great start to our dinner.
 Young chef cutting the saba.
 Saba with gingko nuts

This is Ankyu's specialty dish. Saba is such a common fish but the way they serve it just makes it on a whole new different level. Notice that my sushi is cut into two. That's because I am a woman and it makes it easier to eat!

Oh and anyway, sushi is supposed to be eaten with the wasabi smeared on the fish, not mixed in the soy sauce.

 Hamaguri clam soup

So usually I don't eat clam but after finishing this I learnt that I can eat clam. The story is that I hate to eat many stuffs.
 Of course we need sake with our Japanese food.

 Generous serving of kani. Truly delicious...!

 2nd serving of sake.
 Young chef cutting tuna.

 Young toro

Toro is usually fattening but since this toro is young, it is not so fattening. I can say that it is the best toro that I ever had...
 Blackthroat seaperch (nodoguro)

New type of fish! Skin is crispy yet the meat is so tender...
 More sake

 Uni with yuba

Yuba is tofu skin, and this dish is so beautiful......! And the freshly grated wasabi really compliments the uni really well. I want it again ...!
 Red horsehead (amadai)
 The skin is really crunchy! And the thick soup was really tasteful... I don't mind having more of it...
 Abalone

At Fujiya, I couldn't finish the abalone but at this restaurant I did! Makes me wonder why these kaiseki restaurants lets me eat what I usually don't eat.
 Rice and salmon

Usually salmon is farmed so it is not very healthy. So I guess this dish was my least favourite in the menu.
 Pickles to go with the rice
Sliced ripe persimmon for dessert

My verdict for Ankyu is that it deserves 3 Michelin stars. I think they rejected it due to tax? I mean, we had to pay with cash there...! And the total bill is more than 5man yen for 2 people so you have to be careful with the cash! Haha.

So, the meal was really simple yet pleasing to the taste glands. I guess the secret lies behind the great ingredients that they use such as the young toro. I will certainly go back next time...

2 comments:

  1. Plain persimmon? Barbara ate all the permissions I brought to the office. I should have charged her a 3 Michelin star price...and home grown too.

    Btw great review...never seen freshly grated wasabi before. Maybe I should grow some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always have freshly grated wasabi @ the kaiseki restaurants! Tastes a bit sticky. Persimmon's not in season anymore in Japan

      Delete